Re: Know the Stops

Walt Goettman (wgoettman@mm.wyeth.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:34:13 +1008

> I have found it useful to keep in mind that lithography and etching (for
> instance) are both printmaking processes: they both rely upon inks laid
> upon paper supports; they are often taught and practiced in the same
> studios, often by the same practioners. However, they are very different
> processes which serve very different ends. Perhaps photography is coming of
> age.

I have been approaching galleries with a recently completed portfolio
of photogravures (with no success). One gallery which specializes in
prints which I thought would definetely be interested couldn't grapple
with the fact that they were photographic. I think any photographic
based process has to address the phenomenology of the photographic act
even if it means sweeping it under the carpet.

Walt