Re: 6 % gelatin

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:32:52 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Wayde Allen wrote:
> I'm curious, does anyone know the long term effects of glyoxal on paper?

I'd love to hear from a conservator or paper expert on this, but I think
now the paper should be rinsed after leaving the glyoxal bath. On some
papers hardened in glyoxal about 3 years ago and stored before use, the
paper yellowed. This isn't a good test because that batch of glyoxal had
sodium carbonate in it as a link-closer (don't ask me, that's chemistry).
It was my first batch & I ignored the fact that it turned the glyoxal
bright orange. What was interesting in retrospect is that some of the
papers were affected, different papers in the same batch not. I also think
the discoloration washes out with the gum soaks, if not entirely, then
significantly, but that's hard to say because I'm not a big person on
paper whites anyway.

Since then I've used only baking soda, which seems not to have the same
effect, or omit the alkali altogether, as I believe most others do.
Nevertheless, it might be best to rinse after hardening. Any reason why
not?

Judy