Re: Photogravure Screen

Galamndr@aol.com
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:52:31 -0500 (EST)

<< I
 have been using rosin after laydown and was starting to have good
 success. Suddenly I am getting a grainy tone which I suspected was
 from overmelting. As I cut the temperature I am now getting open bite.

 Walt

I use asphaltum aqutaint for photogravure, but from the experience I have of
working with rosin for non-photogravure intaglio I would always get a perfect
melt (neither over nor under-melted) in an electric oven pre-heated to 350
deg. farenheit for 50 - 60 seconds. I would close the oven door most of the
way and peek through the crack to see when the plate was ready. A perfect melt
every time! Lothar Osterburg, another photogravure printer I know, uses a
similar technique for melting rosin aquatints over adhered gelatin- he
constructed a box the same size as his hot plate out of insulating foam and
places it over the rosined plate for a very even melt.
J. Higgins
Galamander Press