Re: carbon process

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:46 +0000 (GMT)

> Nze,
>
> I assume, though I may be wrong, you are referring to the Autotype G-35
> tissue (marketed by Bergger?) How many carbon tissues are still made, I
> wonder? Anyway, if we are talking about the same stuff, I can give you
> an answer.
>
> This stuff is made for photogravure and rotogravure. It has an
> orangish-red color which makes it easier to view the progression of an
> etch with daylight conditions. The color is not all that pretty, in
> fact - I find it quite ugly. I've done carbon transfers with this
> tissue when trying to calculate exposures under my UV bank for
> photogravure. I transferred it onto fixed-out, blank, photographic
> paper because it was easiest and sharpest to read the wedges. It worked
> perfect - Sandy gave me a couple of pointers and it was fine. One could
> certainly do transfers with this stuff, but you have to really like the
> color - and I'd bet you wouldn't ;)

The Autotype tissue is certainly easy to use, but as you say the colour
doesn't suit many prints. It used to be possible to get as much as any
normal person would ever want to use by requesting a sample from Autotype,
I don't think I ever got round to using all of mine up!

The short reply to nze christian's question is that it is pretty easy (but
messy) to make carbon tissue and that there are some reasonably detailed
instructions in the archives. One set was posted by me, but I don't have
the details to hand, or time to search at the moment. It involves coating
paper with a gum solution which contains a pigment - I had best results
using Pelikan brand Drawing Ink - and sugar.

However there are others here (still here I think) who have much more
experience than me on this one.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/