Re: Cachet gelatin emulsion

Henk Thijs (henk.thijs@eurocontrol.be)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 12:04:33 +0000

Judy,student & Steve S.,

Judy asked:

>I have a student doing a project in Cachet, which is a silver gelatin
>emulsion made in Germany. He chose it because, unlike the Silverprint
>emulsion and Liquid Light, it responds to variable contrast filters.
--snip --
>If anyone can shed further light on the topic(s), it would be much
>appreciated.

Steve stated:
>To make your own full-range print, use platinum/paladium.
>
>What's the problem?

First of all, the problem cannot be to explain that there could be a reason to
use Liquid Light or equivalent. I think it is not relevant to answer that one:
Platinum is not a solution to all full-range printing. I personally use the
Liquid Light emulsion -SE1- on different papers -from Fabriano to Hahnemuehle-
as a start for bromoil printing. Needless to say why, I suppose.

Coating must be done, with Post-Factory number 1 in mind (paper taped to some
plywood etc.) , just put a darkroom bulb not to far away from your coating
place in order to check the correct coating -thanks to Pete- , and try again
with your foam brush & HAKE brush to smooth , remember: Post Factory nr. 1. But
you have to work fast, the emulsion tends to dry very fast and the 'bubbling'
starts most probably from going over a first not-dry-not-wet-coating with a wet
foam brush.
You could warm the paper by placing a glas plate over a bucket filled with hot
water-. I personally dillute the solution with an equal part of water and coat
the paper twice. The thinner solution can be handled better. Of course, the
first coat must be absolutely dry, I use an old hair dryer for this.
Note 1 : the place of the bulb close to the work area did not -until now- gave
any fogging.
Note 2 : The hake brush must be an old one with no loss of hairs; under dark
room light conditions to see a hair from a hake brush......
Note 3 : I used Arches paper also, and it works , but at larger sizes -over
30x40 cm- the curling is a problem; the Whatman is less curling but the surface
is very rough. My best results are with Saunders Waterford and Zerkall.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Henk

--
  Henk    Thijs                 tel: +31-(0)43-3661249
  Eurocontrol Maastricht UAC    fax: +31-(0)43-3661300