Re: Gum questions.

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:06:54 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/18/99 1:03:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, jseigel@panix.com
> writes:
>
> > Anyway, in my experience, the business about
> > thicker gum is better is an error. I nearly always add water if I'm using
> > only half the emulsion as sensitizer.
>
> Hi Judy,
>
> Can you also use that for unsized paper? I found that with unsized paper,
> dilution with water causes staining (on unsized Mi-Teintes or Canford).

1. I haven't used Canford.

2. My tolerance for "staining" is probably greater than yours.

3. I don't know the rest of your practice in *detail,* so I can't say.
Your gum may not be as nice as mine, for instance. Maybe your color is
tetchier. Maybe you rub in the emulsion a bit more. Maybe Michigan is a
cruel state. Maybe you're not as deserving a person.... I'll add, though,
that it's the rare paper won't do ONE coat on fresh paper with no size
without staining -- in my experience. The problem is once you've done the
preshrink & washed off the manufacturer's surface size.

4. I have used M-Teintes, years ago. As I recall it had an mechanical
texture on the "right" side, but could be used for a coat or two without
staining, and the "wrong" side was pretty nice.

5. Aside to Hamish Fulton: until I realized you were kidding about the
Bockingford, which is, let me tell the world before someone sneers, the
paper I dislike above all others, I was about to send the foreign legion
after you.

6. But while speaking paper names, Magnani Pescia is a lovely, smooth,
sturdy bright white, and not a hot press that reverts to its old texture
as soon as you've given it a long soak. Stays smooth.

> Also, what do you mean by "half the emulsion as sensitizer?"

That if an emulsion is 50 drops total, at least half of it, or
approximately 25 drops, is gum, no more than half is dichromate. That's a
rough estimate, but the principle is that the larger the ratio of gum, the
less staining, generally speaking, in my experience...

Judy