RE: Digtal Proofing

DanPhoto@aol.com
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:52:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi Carl,

Guess one way would be to use an inexpensive digital camera (or a video
camera in conjunction with an AV Mac or Video import card). You could
easily tape the big neg to a sheet of diffusion material (Roscoe #111)
and photograph the neg by window light. Of course, if you have a big
light table so much the better. Heck, I can envision a QuickCam sitting
on top of the monitor facing your negative on a window behind it. Simple
and cheap!

The important part would be "backward calibrating." That is, making the
screen image properly represent the image as it will print. You might
first photograph a negative that HAS printed successfully. Then make that
image on screen look like the final alt-process print. This could be done
via an Adjustment Layer Curve. Then you'd apply that same Adjustment
Layer Curve to your new "photographed" negatives. Presto, what you see is
what you "should" get, taking into account all the vagaries of the
medium. Ha!

Some camcorders let you shoot in "negative" mode so you can do a very
crude level of proofing that way for your big negs. Or, you could use the
video "negative" (that would look like a positive in the viewfinder) to
at least import a positive image into Photoshop.

A couple years ago I watched Horace Bristol "proofing" his old medium
format negs with one of those little video scanners. He'd move the
scanner over his neg sheet and examine each postive image on his Mac. It
was fun witnessing an 85 year old master embracing modern technology to
streamline a process when he had so little time left.

There are probably simpler ways, but that's all my brain can come up with
at the moment!

Dan

In your email you stated...