Re: Waxing/Oiling Paper Negatives

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 06:56:41 +0000

Peter Charles Fredrick wrote:

> This is the method I use with my students :-
> Take a large sheet of glass pour a puddle of sunflower oil in the centre,

Hi Pete,

After using vegetable oil and finding my negatives giving off a rancid
smell after a while, I switched to mineral oil and like it a lot better.
It doesn't get sticky, doesn't smell and has the added benefit of
feeling great on your hands.

I've also tried waxing negatives and find that the waxed negatives
scratch much more easily than the oiled negatives, so I'll probably go
back to oiling, even though it's messier.
Katharine Thayer