Proofing for alt.

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:55:10 -0500

<<<But you raise a curious point ... Have you -- has anyone -- ever seen
an
Iris print as beautiful as the image that "inspired" it on screen? So
far, when I've seen something gorgeous on screen, the translation into
opaque media (by others, not myself) has seemed.... less inspired.>>>

Judy,

Actually, I'm currently doing collaborative work with, er, "a
world-renowned Giclee (Iris) Atelier" making photographic prints using
the Iris to get an ink-on-paper result that is inspired by the look of
platinum prints and photogravure. The object, not yet fully achieved, is
to make prints that have absolutely no PhotoShop or "digitized" look to
them but are in fact direct interpretations of the negative. And no, we
don't find the screen to be terribly useful even on a Mac with 500 megs
of RAM hooked to a hundred-thousand dollar Hell scanner. We proof to the
Iris, pin it up on the wall next to one of my platinum prints, then go
back to the computer and modify the parameters. When the system is
ironed out, I'll report on it in PT. We've got stunning results without
enlargement but are still working on scaling up. I can't wait to see one
of my 12x20 negatives at 300%.....

---Carl