Re: Scanner selection

FotoDave@aol.com
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:26:23 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/21/99 5:38:15 AM Pacific Standard Time, nick@mcn.org
writes:

> The choice of a film scanner seems to have narrowed down to the Nikon LS4500
> which does up to 4X5 film only and the Agfa Duoscan which can do 8X10
> film/reflective.

Nick, they don't belong to the same category. LS4500 is a film scanner while
Duoscan is mainly a flatbed scanner with transparent adapter. For our
practical purposes, within a 4x5 area, you can scan at higher resolution with
a film scanner compared to a flatbed scanner.

It has been a while since I read the resolution of Duoscan, so I can't
remember exactly. Is it 1200? If you use 4x5 negatives and don't need big
enlargement, you will find that scanning a 4x5 with 1200 dpi is more than
enough for your application. 35mm at 1200 dpi is not enough though, at least
not for me.

So if you are planning on scanning a lot of negatives, it's best that you get
a film scanner. With flatbed scanner, what you can do is enlarge the negative
(into prints or positive) then scan the result.

Dave