Re: Scanning 8X10 reflective negatives

FotoDave@aol.com
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:52:04 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/21/99 10:56:39 AM Pacific Standard Time, nick@mcn.org
writes:

> Has anyone ever printed a transparancy on, say 8X10, RC paper, thereby
> creating a continuous tone negative? Then scanning that negative as
> reflective art; and then using, dare I say, standard output to create the
> contact negative.

Nick, I have thought about doing that too, but when I checked the exposure
range of the paper, I found it to be too narrow to encompass the wide range of
a slides unless you subject contrast is very low so your original slide is
pretty low in contrast.

I guess if you want to, you could make 2 prints for highlight and shadows and
with some registration system, recombine them in Photoshop with your desired
curve, but it can be a pain.

> This plays into my decision as to whether to buy a film scanner or use my
> flatbed scanner as described.

So my opinion is it depends on how often you scan film and how often you scan
prints.

Dave