Re: Waxing Paper Negatives

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:01:33 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Adam Kimball wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just set up my new Epson Photo 700 printer and am anxiously awaiting printing
> out some step-wedge tests (which I'll write about next). However, I'm interested
> in hearing more about how to wax or oil paper negatives - Judy's email was quite
> good, but I don't have the silicone release sheet ready and I'd like to start
> asap. Can any other kind folks write (on or off line) and briefly describe what
> they've learned? Simple is better, but I'm willing to go the extra mile for
> quality.

Adam, as I understand it, an inkjet negative doesn't have the same
problems with toner offsetting that a laser printer does, which is why --
cancel my advisory of the ancient time of 2 days ago -- I'm thinking of a
12 by 17 inkjet.

It would seem that it's not good for high-end commercial use, but is for
digital negs. The silicone release paper is for putting the laser print
on face down, so toner doesn't offset and /or come off onto the base sheet
in splotches. It's an enormous help, but the technique still isn't
perfect. I gather that the toner in inkjet doesn't melt & offset, so no
problem. Just iron, rub with bar of parrafin and wipe excess off with
paper towel.

Of course any of them sound more complicated in words than in actual
doing, but I have the impression that the paraffin is easier & more
permanent than the oil. Also, I'm TOLD (haven't done it) that there's a
change in size with oiling -- a stretch -- for what that's worth. With the
waxing, an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet shrinks a hairline, just enough to detect.
Whether it matters, I don't know, since presumably all the separations in
a set shrink or grow the same -- but if the oil dries out, then it could
change back & might be an issue if you want to repeat just one separation.

Judy