Re: Scanning 8X10 reflective negatives

FotoDave@aol.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:53:21 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/22/99 5:54:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, nick@mcn.org
writes:

> Some more information is needed here; my plans include the printing of a
> combination of 100+ images comprised of, in no particular degree, 35MM (no
> negs), 120 & 4X5 formats in both slides and negs.

You need to do 120 and 4x5, not just 35mm, and ...

> Although I have a well equipped darkroom, I have all but decided that
> producing the larger format negs from film and chemicals is not in the
cards
> for various reasons.

you don't want to use the chemical step in enlarging these negatives, and ...

> I currently have a very satisfactory flatbed 36bit scanner.

you already have a flatbed scanner that you are happy with,

so my opinion is why buy another flatbed? It has the transparency option, but
it does not have the high resolution that you need to scan your negatives. It
might be ok for some applications with your 4x5 negatives (shhhhh.... don't
tell anyone, but I have used my flatbed scanner to scan a 4x5 negative prepare
a booklet for a client, but the final image size is small, so I have more than
enough resoluion).

I have an Arcus II (600 dpi optical resolution and can scan reflective and
transmissive materials). I wish I had the LS4500, but unfortunately I cannot
say like you said that money is not a concern. I might get a good 35mm film
scanner and send my 4x5 out for scanning). As I have said before, it depends
on what you do most. I don't do 4x5 myself, but I have to scan for clients
from time to time.

Those are just my opinion, of course. Keep asking and get as much info and
opinions as you can before you spend the $5000. :)

Dave