Re: Agfa film II

FotoDave@aol.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:11:57 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/22/99 10:50:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jribeiro@greco.com.br writes:

>> Believe me, this one was the cheapest stuff I could find. A 24x30cm x 100
sheets for something like US$45,00!

You might want to check with some printing shops or graphic-arts studios (they
call it stat houses here) who still do traditional halftone screening and ask
where they buy their lith films. You see, for normal process art, we are
talking about details like 300 dpi. With imagesetter, the film must be able to
resolve at least 9600 dpi for 4800 dpi imagesetters! So the quality of the
film must be good, and as mentioned, the BETTER the quality of the film, the
WORST it is for us!

We love the cheap stuffs. We are cheapos. :)

> Yes, I am re-reading it right now. Can I use HC110 instead D76. If yes, what
> dilution from stock or concentrate?

Yes, you can use HC110. You don't/can't exposure range anyway. You only change
the Dmax when you change your dilution, so it doesn't really matter that much
since you only want to study the range. Try dilution D or E.

To avoid exhaustion / mottling problem, remember to use just a small piece and
have enough developer and enough agitation. It you still have some mottling,
don't worry about it now. You can solve that later. The important point is to
see how many steps you can get out of this film.

(I am posting this on the list too since it might be useful for others as
well).

Dave