Re: RGB vs CMYK for gum

Darryl Baird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:46:11 -0500

> You do it when printing
> on paper (I thought) because some of the RGB colors aren't printable in CMYK

this is only true in the offset printing industry, where a range of
(something) like 7000 colors is possible "on press". The Photoshop
gamut alert is simply a warning that a particular color doesn't exist
in the offset printing world (it can't be recreated). This isn't true
for photographic RGB film.

What is being debated(?) here is whether we need a CMYK model for
alt-process. I have to say that I was shocked and embarrassed to think I
knew how to separate color files. I was only considering the printing
model for separation...forgetting the photographic model of RGB/CMY,
primary/secondary color theory. I think I owe Katherine a small debt for
keeping me simple.

Darryl