Re: RGB vs CMYK for gum

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:38:29 +0000

Judy Seigel wrote:

> Well, I'm not quite as clear as Dave might wish, because I find this
> *theoretical* discussion not true to the facts as I have stumbled onto
> them.
>
> In the first place, it isn't clear to me why you can supposedly adjust the
> colors in RGB and not in CMY -- with or without K. I may be living in a
> dream world, but I fancied I was adjusting channel colors separately in
> Photoshop CMYK.

You can, but for several reasons which I won't go into, given that this
*theoretical* discussion is beside the point, it's generally considered
best not to edit in CMYK but to work in RGB and if you're going to print
in CMYK, convert just before you're ready to print.

cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut

> THE SYNTAX OF GUM PRINTING IS STRONGER THAN THE SYNTAX OF ALGORITHM. At
> least as I gum print, and that's not even counting the very great
> differences in "look" among the prints on different paper and with
> different sizing methods -- which I did some tests of, too.

Actually I believe that to be true as well, but only for experienced gum
printers. As I've said to some folks but maybe not to the list as a
whole, it seems like I'm always changing things but my prints always
look like my prints no matter what I change, because you get so gum
printing is like baking bread: you do it more by feel than by recipe.
But I'm not sure that's true for people just starting out, and I think
it's good for people to know what their options are and what assumptions
those options are based on. How is that beside the point? I've never
said people had to do it my way; actually I'd just as soon they didn't;
less competition for me. I was just sharing information; I was told
that's what we do on this list.

I didn't agree with everything Phil Davis said about gum either, but I
wouldn't call his departure from my methods an *error*. I thought we
agreed once to agree that there's no right and wrong in gum, only
different ways to do it. And what are you suggesting, that because you
don't agree with him on gum, that we shouldn't believe anything he said
about color separations? Give me a break.

The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.
Katharine Thayer