Re: Communications Theory 101

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:02:05 -0800

Eugene & all,

We would all like to get on with the program, obviously. And I do agree that
email with strangers presents many problems, but I'm afraid I have to disagree
with your interpretation of this particular event. You don't seem to think
enough intent was present to justify the use of the word insult by Katherine's
latest email? I think you should read those lines again. Katherine made no
attempt to intepret Judy's email correctly, she completely misread Judy's
statement about Phil Davis, and followed it up with a total insult. I wonder
who you think Katherine was talking about when she said:

> The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.

Phil Davis? Me? You? She was directly quoting Judy. If that doesn't qualify as
an insult, I have no idea what does. My little American Heritage defines insult
as: "To speak or treat with disrespect or contempt." Equating anybody with a
barking dog, even loosely and vaguely is surely to treat them, and their ideas,
with disrespect.

And that is only the latest incident...

-Adam