Re: archival ink for deskjet

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:00:00 -0500

At 02:53 AM 1999/01/29 -0500, Judy wrote:

>A water color painting is relatively durable compared to the ink jet print
>I tested 2 years ago, although they may be upgraded since. That was so
>fragile that if you shed just one tear over it, it would leave a great
>hole. A watercolor painting can survive a few splashes, with no staining
>at all.

Water colors bond with the media used (paper or whatever). Inkjet inks stay
on the surface of the media (which must be coated to prevent ink
absorption). I once talked with a chemist who had been working on this
problem for H-P several years ago; evidently there is still no solution.

But don't think watercolors are so very permanent. My late wife bought a
watercolor painting that she put up in a dark hall here. It was brilliant,
but after about ten years, the paper has become a dark ecru and the colors
have definitely deteriorated.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net