Re: Re: tri-x and bpf 200

Don Bryant (dsbryant@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 19:12:42 -0500

Dave and all,

My reply about the use of PMK will be brief.

Listen to what Sandy and Carl Weese have told you time and time again about
the qualities of PRINTS and PRINTING from PMK ( or pyro ) developed
negatives.

You have a basic mis-understanding of what PMK processing is capable of. By
focusing on adjacency effects you are misleading your self in your
investigation. The adjacency effects is but one aspect of using PMK, an
important one with miniature format films.

Do what Sandy suggests because otherwise you never be able to make a valid
comparison.

Now having said that PMK isn't the holy grail of developers, as a mater of
with certain films, most notably IMO when used with TMAX 100, better results
or a different look if you will can be achievable. For TMAX 100 and TMZ I
prefer XTOL developer, a great developer BTW.

Also one more item, I can state inequitably that when PMK is used with Kodak
HIE 135 format, the appearance or look of prints made with these negatives
cannot be matched by using other developers!

I've been using PMK for years and I'm not a newly to its use, and yes it
does provide with a different look. When larger formats are used such as 4x5
FP4 the results can be quite stunning.

All of the above is based on printing on factory made silver prints, I'm
just starting in Alt processing with VDB and Cyanotypes and I'm very pleased
with my results (at least some of the time) and I won't tell you yet that
PMK makes a big difference with Alt processes but I'm betting it will with
Plt/Pld prints which is where I'm heading with my work.

Now please just go out there and try the developer a while and then make an
evaluation because otherwise you are merely twisting yourself into a mental
pretzel. Its in a sense like comparing water colors to Tempera, which you
and others are fond of contrasting here.

Don