Re: Sad News

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:51:52 -0500

Michael Keller wrote:
> ... I noted in the news report that he was practically unknown in his own state
> of Arizona....
>
> Richard Lahrson wrote:
> ... Outside of the photography world and collector world, he
> > was unknown. ...

Yes, he was "unknown", in a sense, by so called photo historians. Some
even referred to him as a charlatan. However, he is known in much more
than the photo community. He had written a great deal, and in this
writing divulges as much of the workings of the mind as in his
photographs. He had a keen and interesting understanding of music
although not a musician. Anyone interested in sampling his genius can
check out:
http://www.jhcampbell.com/cottages/guest1/indexfred.html

Frederick Sommer was and is the epitome of the alternative
photographer. Ignored and swept to the side, being out of the perceived
main stream of things; however, he indeed had his finger on the pulse of
the essence of just how things work. He just presented it in a new and
different, and I feel, better way. One should seriously study his work
(visual and written) because they can gain an understanding as to how
the mind works and as to how communication between minds can be
constructed.

I have no doubt that time will show Frederick Sommer to be one of the
Great Masters. It is sad that all of us could not have had more time to
sit down with him to discuss such things. We are indeed fortunate to
have the work he has left us.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/