Re: Glycin

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:28:51 -0500

At 11:31 AM 1999/01/31 -0500, DM wrote:

>Henley's Twentieth Century Home & Workshop
>Formulas Recipes & Processes (1914),
>lists Glycin developer as:
>
> I.---Hot water...........10 ounces
> Sulphite of sodium,
> crystals...........11/4 ounces
> Carbonate of sodium...1/4 ounce
> Glycin................1/2 ounce
>
> Add to water in order given.
>
>II.---Water...............10 ounces
> Carbonate of potash..11/4 ounces
>
> For normal exposure take I, 1 ounce;
> II, 2 ounces; water 1 ounce.

Don't use this formulation! (1) the physical forms of the compounds are now
different, and though you can use math to figure the quantities, in 1914
chemicals were much more variable (for example, "sodium sulfite crystals"
could contain different amounts of water). Today there are standards, and
we use "dry" sulfite. But the big problem is (2) it's not always healthy
(to the developer, not the user) to mix sodium and potassium ions in this
formula as the results can be unpredictable. There are much better formulas
available - Henley's isn't a good source, anyway. Wall and Jordan are more
reliable. If you really, absolutely, need a glycin formula (I used it for
years for prints, not negs, to get beautiful quality on some of the old
papers) contact me, and I'll dig up a good one for the purpose you designate.

Of course, if you want to experiment, I'd be the last to object!

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net
Visit http://www.psa-photo.org/