Re: Weston early work (was Re: Quasi "alt" question re:8x10 cameras

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 15:51:32 -0800

On the list, again --

Subject: Weston early work (was Re: Quasi "alt" question re:8x10 cameras

>On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Steve Shapiro wrote:
>>
>> [Edward Weston's] photographs are wonderful to behold, and only in
>comparison with what
>> was out there then are truly unique. In comparison with what's done
today,
>> and mostly because of EW, with modern materials the work of today is far
>> superior. If he is your benchmark photographer, do yourself a favor and
>> don't seek out his original work.
>
>Steve, we disagree here again, if by "original work" you mean Weston's
>early soft-focus pictorialist portraits. I have seen very few of these
>first-hand of course, but a magazine article of the 30s gave me a jolt
>(hope I can find that one again, too, someday). It was written by Weston
>in the first person, explaining how much BETTER his new sharp focus
>portraits were and how much he hated doing the early soft focus, tho
>customers demanded it. He also explained that the new sharp portraits
>weren't posed, the customers just positioned themselves as they saw fit.
>
>What struck me was how theatrical and .... awkward ... these "unposed"
>portraits were, amateur versions of Hollywood publicity stills. The mode
>had invaded the culture, apparently -- transparent at the time, blatant
>today.
>
>J.

What surprised me, with regard to EW's original prints, was the poor quality
of the image, realized onto he paper. The shadows were not clear, locked up
in fact; and the highlights, while glowed had signs of overdevelopment.

In the Center for Photographic Arts, Tuscon it is apparent EW didn't take
the time tofix well, his patience shows y the 'foxed' prints they have,
htere.

If he had the materials we have not, and not surprising tohear from modern
manufacturers, he influenced their development of ... We all prosper andhave
surpassed his techniques.

Studying EW is a prime example of what we gain by studying history so as not
to repeat the mistakes.

EW was certainly one of THE launch pads for today's photography that is
superior.

That's what I meant.

SS