Re: Quasi "alt" question re:8x10 cameras

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 08:27:52 -0800

Subject: Re: Quasi "alt" question re:8x10 cameras

>Steve Shapiro wrote:
>>
>> Let me add to the top of this thread, Edward Weston's father was a
doctor,
>> and his sisters rich California friend was EW's first wife.
>
>Hi Steve,
>
> Well, at least during the '30s, it was a struggle for most Americans
>because of the depression. That is the impression one gets from reading
>Edward Weston's Daybook. And, of course, he was the first photographer to
>receive a Guggenheim Fellowship Grant. He used this money to travel and
>photogrph.
>
> I recall seeing a half hour black and white film about Edward
>Weston. I think it was put out by the Canadian Film Board. It showed
>him photographing near Carmel and printing in his darkroom.
>
> Rich Lahrson
> tripspud@hooked.net

Yeah, he was quite a person.

There's a little known story about his Guggenheim. He was the first to
receive one in photography, don't you know?

It seems Beaumont Newhall encouraged the Guggenheim foundation to create
afellowship grant in photography JUST FOR Edward Weston. When first he was
advised to apply by Newhall, he though he wasn't ready, and postponed his
application for a year.

then, since no one got one, he claimed to Newhall that it was all a lie and
Newhall was giving him false hopes. So, Newhall had to spill the beans and
tell him the fellowship was being created just for him.

It was that following year that he got it, and the second year again to
finish his work in the Oceano Dunes.

Not a badphotographer, to b sure. My only point was the little talked about
issue of trial and error. Even AA had 'dogs' he had to throw away, but EW
died with a pile of crummy photos as high as the floor to his bedside. His
really good stuff, technically, is just under the average best of today.
That, which said more about the materials of the day than anything, was an
eye opener to me.

No matter how much money he might have had to spend, he did the best he
could. Don't forget, he didn't have a light meter untilverylate in his
life. If at all. I'll have to look that one up. I'll call Cole.

Steve