Re: Quasi "alt" question re:8x10 cameras

Hamish Stewart (Hamish.Sophie@wanadoo.fr)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 19:33:45 +0000

I did the same thing about 10 years ago. The old Rollei is still with me
takes great pictures - despite having a terrible fall - and the one lens
creates a certain discipline that I like. Sometimes too many options
kills the point. Using your tools to the fullest is really important. The
rollei has changed the way I work, but maybe my work has changed too so
it is an appropriate choice. For years I used 35mm and realized that I
only used a few lenses because they suited the way I see. The rollei,
with its limitations has just edited this a little further...

As an aside there was a large Man Ray exhibition in Paris last year -
work from the large collection of his work that is held here. And I can
tell you now that the Man Ray cropped his images something terrible (as
indeed did bresson in the early years).

>And suddenly, because the confusion of choice was denied me, I think I
>began to exploit what it *could* do, and my pictures have improved no
>end.

Maybe you just spend more time thinking about the image rather than how
you should realize it...

>Now I'll readily admit that this could simply be down to me being unable
>to distill the essence from complexity, but if so, The Rollei has worked
>for me.

If it works, then it works.

>Chris
>
>Oxford, England