Re: XTOL vs ?

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 23:37 +0000 (GMT)

> In the numerous notes about PMK vs everything else, many have
> mentioned XTOL. Sometimes, it seems I've tried everything *except* it.
> Could anyone compare it to D76 or HC110? With Tri-X or anything else?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andy

I've used it with 35mm T-Max 100. Although I think it may be better than
T-Max dev or D76, it didn't match up to my normal developer for T-Max,
which is Paterson FX-39. (Several years back I tested with D-76 and with
T-Max dev and decided that FX-39 was definitely superior)

In my tests this gives more even and apparently finer grain with improved
sharpness. Tonal rendering is more subjective, but I felt there was little
to choose either way.

I only used Xtol for one batch of film, carefully following the Kodak
directions (from their web-site.) Seeing the results I decided against
further experiment.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/