Re: Sad News

Neal Oshima (noshima@epic.net)
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 08:09:08 +0800

The only sad news about Fredrick Sommer's death is the inevitable dearth of
coverage by the mass media. The good news is how influential his work was
despite almost total neglect by the cultural establishment. And it points
out why groups like this one are important cultural alternatives.

When I was working on my masters thesis at SF State in the 70's, I made a
pilgrimage to visit Sommer. I got as far as downtown Flagstaff, Arizona
before I decided that his privacy was more important than my youthful
admiration. Later I spent an afternoon in one of the LA museum (LACMA?)
print rooms, looking at dozens of prints that were almost never exhibited.

Neal