Re: step tablet

William Laven (wmlaven@platinotype.com)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:08:53 -0800 (PST)

>Jan,
>
>TriX, HC110 and platinum/palladium is *worth* sticking to for 15 to 20
>years! It works great. What I've found switching to pyro instead of
>HC110 is that it helps the one weak spot of Tri-X by increasing
>separation of the deepest values, it handles a broader range of subject
>contrast situations without bothering to change development times, and
>it gives a negative suitable for printing in either Pt or on VC silver
>papers. OTOH, HC110/TX/Pt works so well that it's probably worth
>switching only if one of those three points really appeals to
>you.---Carl

TriX and HC110 were my choice, too, for just that amount of time, but I
finally borrowed an 8x10, bought some FP4 and souped it in PMK. The negs
look great and I'll report on the prints once I've done them.

I'd like to know, Carl, a bit more about your claim that the pyro "handles
a broader range of subject contrast situations without bothering to change
development times." Does that mean you do fewer expansions and
contractions and just let the film handle it? When would you do a minus or
plus development and when wouldn't you?

More detail would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

ps I just joined a DejaNews group called PyroManiacs. Their help page, with
info on susbscribing is http://www.dejanews.com/~pmk/help/help_regstr.shtml

                           WILLIAM LAVEN PHOTOGRAPHY

    Workshops and tutorials in Platinum/Palladium printing and Zone System.

   1931 23rd Street, San Francisco, CA, 94107
   415-647-9432 (voice) 415-647-9438 (fax)
   wmlaven@platinotype.com
   http://www.platinotype.com