Re: Scanner selection

Pascal MIELE (pascal.miele@wanadoo.fr)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:18:10 +0100 (MET)

> Hi Pascal... thanks for the info... I'm most grateful for all the list
> info of the last couple of days, because I realized from it I was about to
> make a mistake. I have to go to a scanner with a greater resolution for 35
> mm.

Yes, IMO the 35mm scan is the only way for 35mm scanning !
You can use a flat scan but only for a very small qty of work

> The Mac Warehouse catalog shows the 2700 dpi Sprintscan 35 plus you
> mention for $1500, while Nikon Coolscan III, also 2700 dpi, is *only*
> $999.95. The differences as far as I can make out from numbers given, are
> that the Sprintscan Plus has optical density up to 3.4, with 36-bit color,
> the Coolscan III has a "dynamic range" of 3 with 30-bit color. Assuming
> that those capacities would matter for commercial use, but not so much for
> my purposes -- when the color gets to be synthetic anyway, at least to
> some extent -- I think I'll save the $500 difference.

the 3,4D is good for color neg (CCD is good for slides but negs don't have same
pigments so the sensibility is an important way to improve performance)
the 3,4D is good for bads BW negs (very soft or very hard)

With good slides and good BW negs 3d is good.

> Another point against the Sprintscan Plus in my book is that it's bundled
> with Adobe PhotoDeluxe 2, which annoys me. I feel I'm paying for it, but
> won't use it, don't want it. It also seems to me a dumb marketing decision
> -- surely at this point someone paying $1500 for a scanner already has
> Photoshop? Or am I missing something?

PhotoDeluxe is very "chiant" (a nice french word) it's not a tool, it's a toy !
I have Photoshop (the old v 3.05) and PhotodeLuxe (a bundle with Epson printer)
PhotodeLuxe is ...

> I suppose somebody sells the scanner solo, but, well, I have the catalog
> in hand... There's a more expensive Coolscan ($1900) but from what I can
> make out its added features are, again, of little meaning for personal
> use.

Have you seen the Epson FILMSCAN 200 (2400x1200 30bits)
          or the MINOLTA Dimage DualScan (35mm,APS 2438dpi 30bits)
very fast

I'ts french names may be you have a local name like FILMSCAN 2000
(Everything is greater in USA !)

A Bientôt

Pascal