Re: The continuing saga of pyro redevelopment

Liam Lawless (lawless@vignette.freeserve.co.uk)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:43:38 +0000

Hi Sandy,

The test that I reported yesterday was on a (reject) APH neg that I'd made
by reversal, using an ordinary developer. Bleaching and redeveloping in PMK
pushed up the maxiumum density from 2.44 to 3.17, or 3.21 after the used
developer afterbath. I didn't bother looking at other densities because at
the time I only wanted to know if intensification was in fact occurring.

I'm no chemist (failed my chemistry 'O' level miserably), but I believe that
bleaching in pot. dich. and hydrochloric gives silver chloride and an
insoluble chromium salt that is responsible for the intensification. With
bromide added, my guess is that you would be producing silver bromide
instead of silver chloride (because the bromide is more insoluble), whch
would redevelop in much the same way, so it would appear that it doesn't
perform any useful function at all. That's what I think anyway, but maybe
someone out there can give you a better answer.

Perhaps the reason you're not getting a density increase is some strange
incompatability between pyro and chromium. Try ferricyanide-bromide: I'm
convinced that works.

Liam