Re: Bristol board substitute?

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:07:51 -0500

Mac Legrandi wrote:
> ...I've been using Strathmore 2-ply Smooth Bristol board (from a pad) for cyanotype and like the detail I get from the smooth surface. I also, like to put a second gum coat over it. The problem is the bristol does not soak well. It becomes very absorbant, and may just fall apart.
>
> Is there a paper I can use that can handle a pre-shrink, and wash with the surface like the bristol smooth?...

Try Strathmore Drawing 500 Plate finish (Hard surface). Being one ply,
it won't separate when wet. It also seems to withstand a wet process
much better than their regular board. For a bit more texture try the
Medium surface. Also you may try the Drawing paper in the 400 series.

Also Bienfang Graphics 360 is quite strong wet and can produce great
detail. However it does tend to wrinkle with humidity, but it can be
archival dry mounted to a stiffer paper.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/