Re: UV and eye safety

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:30:33 -0500 (EST)

Walt, you don't give the source of your citation on UV hazards, but
whatever it is you are due thanks for the info, a welcome draft of sense &
data in an area of uncertainty, not to mention hysterics. Some folks have
advised *leaving the room* when the UV light is on, others have cited
symptoms that had to be entirely unrelated.

One manufacturer I spoke to said the bulbs are safe at a distance of
more than 40 inches; I myself have always assumed that eyeglasses give the
protection stated for glass. But I do use a pair of supposedly UV-proof
goggles (bought from American Science & Surplus for $4) for extended
burning or dodging. It occurs to me in light of your story about false
claims to test them -- I thought of putting them on top of an emulsion and
exposing, to see the difference. Any comments?

Judy