Matte or Glossy paper for Litho contact neg?

Mac Legrandi (juicebox@my-dejanews.com)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 22:21:31 +0000

Hello!

I know the subject is a bit cryptic. I've used paper positives successfully in making Litho negs. It is much easier for me to control the contrast w/ a VC paper. I bought some 16x20 litho film and am deciding between buying matte or glossy RC paper for the contact positive.

I originally was thinking glossy. My teacher said "glossy paper has more levels of grey than matte"? I would have thought the same emulsion would capture the same levels?

I'd go with the glossy paper, but I've read here about newton rings in film to film contacts. Perhaps the matte paper would prevent this, but I would hope I wouldn't loose levels of grey?

Any clarifications?

Mac

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/ Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums