Re: UV and eye safety

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 01:58:59 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, BLAZE wrote:
> ...Let's not forget that some readers on this list may start using
> carbon arc burners without protection.

Which would be like operating a chainsaw without reading the instructions.
I don't need to do X because some damnfool may do Q.

> If eyeglasses were sufficient to
> protect from UV light, welders would not have to wear welding masks and
> the rest of their halloween costumes. I used to work in a printing

I don't think welding light is the same. In the first place the eyes are
only a few inches away, and the use is hours at a time. My eyes are never
closer than a yard from the bulb, and the use is minutes. Secondly, I
suspect the wavelength is different.... tho neither of us, I also suspect,
knows that for sure.

> company where we had NuArc burners. Not only the light was dangerous,
but
> the fumes were toxic. If you have the option of leaving the area when UV

It sounds like we're talking about different NuArcs. I've operated one
for 15 or so years, and never noticed any fumes. Are these fumes odorless?
You may be talking about a carbon arc Nu Arc ?

Mine is the sodium mercury vapor -- and for what it's worth, I'll add that
NuArc assured me the light was absolutely harmless..

> light is burning plates - do so

As noted, I think we're talking about different NuArcs...

Judy