Re: Quasi "alt" question re:8x10 cameras

terryroth (terryroth@earthlink.net)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:24:00 -0800

Richard Lahrson wrote:

> > His photographs are wonderful to behold, and only in comparison with what
> > was out there then are truly unique. In comparison with what's done today,
> > and mostly because of EW, with modern materials the work of today is far
> > superior. If he is your benchmark photographer, do yourself a favor and
> > don't seek out his original work.
>
> Steve,
>
> I've seen a good deal to Edward Weston's work.
>
> > Brett, on the other hand, had everything we have today except finer grain
> > film and automatic focus, the latter which he dearly wanted. Ansel accused
> > him -- in good fun -- of taking his studio into the field. Brett had the
> > white light reflector umbrellas, spray for moisture, flash meters; almost
> > like the Abercrombe & Fitch satire of the fisherman with everything but
> > never caught the fish. Only flaw in the comparison, Brett brought home to
> > big ones.
>
> Again Steve,
>
> This is a personal taste, but for me, Brett Weston's work does not
> have as strong an emotional content as his father's.
>
> > It is this mastery of the large format, patient darkroom techniques that I
> > have seen first hand; and availability of materials with latitude that has
> > magnatized me back into photography for in camera negatives that have never
> > been surpased by second generation negs in alternative process. But, this
> > is like comparing apples with Honda cars.
>
> > And, rare is the moment that all that can be achieved without laying out a
> > few bucks.
>
> I'll agree here! Even to work simply today in the smaller 4 X 5 size negative
> and making contact prints is an expense. I am by no means wealthy. I am
> struggling to return to photography, but have been moving in too many
> different formats and hence I am standing still....
>
> Rich Lahrson
> tripspud@hooked.net
Take pix in whatever format you have, use your imagination, and do not
try to repeat other's work, your own vision will come thru. Format is
nothing. Studying other photographer's work is limiting--even EW and AA
have nothing to do with your own artistic goals and ideas. Pursue your
vision!!! Shoot what interests you, try to expand your eye. Work!!!!