Re: Cheap 8x10 digital back????

Hans Oosterom (hans.oosterom@wxs.nl)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 20:00:50 -0100

Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Stuart Melvin and I were discussing this the other day. It seems it may
> have come up here or perhaps somewhere else -- maybe even in a bad dream --
> but has anyone ever tried adapting a scanner as a camera back? It seems
> trivial engineeringwise to mount a cheap scanner as a back in an 8x10 or
> larger camera. Of course this would not real handy in the outback as the
> need for 110 volts AC, a laptop or desktop computer, but it should work in
> the studio. Anyone got any tips to pass on?

Hi Richard,
Interesting idea, however...
Agfa and Kodak were working hard to give us films that could be exposed within
a split of a second, giving us the possibility to freeze the action of
sportsmen, and anything else that is moving more or less fast.
As well they worked hard in order to give us a good resolution as we call it in
digital and small grains in classic print.
So the interest of a scanner as the back of a camera only could lay within the
field of repro work I guess and perhaps some studio pictures of flowers, fruits
and dead fishes. There it will be a good trade of with a digital camera with
enough resolution for everything that can be exposed in terms of minutes. I
could imagine to mount a flatbed scanner on an old repro-camera in order to
avoid printing an enlarged inter positive.
BTW in a certain way it has been done already. In order to photocopy from
slides there were photocopiers (still??) in the market that had a slide
projector built in. The image was projected to the scanner etc

Hans