Not such Sad News

Karl P. Koenig (kpkoe@swcp.com)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 16:34:20 -0700

Several years ago I saw an extensive exhibit at the University of New
Mexico Museum (oddly enough itself a Beaumont and Nancy Newhall
beneficiary, by the way, Judy) of F. Sommer's work. It convinced me, more
than any other pictures I had seen, that I was going to have to make
photographic art for the rest of my working life. And I have. What a life
and what productivity he achieved! Maybe there is something in the act (or
in the chemicals) that prolongs life. Look at Carl Mydans or
Cartier-Bresson for other instances.