Re: Densitometer for computer?

Francesco Curcio (msepa.fcurcio@ntt.it)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:08:58 +0100

I have bought a Heiland B&W densitometer model TRD-2, made in Wetzlar
(sounds familiar?), Germany and am quite satisfied with it.
It takes >both< trasmission and reflection readings and has a good price
for the basic version (about $550 from the factory). It is sold also
in the US (see ads in Photo Techniques and other US photo mags) but at a higher price.

I mention this because I think list members living in Europe might be interested to know
there is an affordable densitometer they can order directly from the factory
(I have no interest in this business. If someone will ask, I'll give the address).
It can come with some optionals, like an RS232 port to computer
and interchangeable base plates that allow readings from 3 to 0.5 mm wide areas
(standard is 3 mm).

I also use Phil Davis' Plotter and Matcher programs ($69.95 both, emailed from DI),
a bit too old (I had a hard time trying to properly match my printer with one
of the pre-historic models listed in the program's printers choice), but still useful.

It's deceiving that these programs don't apparently allow a way to directly let in
the readings from the densitometer, via the RS232 serial port.
Anybody knows if there is a way to let data into the Plotter program other than typing?

Francesco Curcio

Milano Italy