Selenium toners

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:58:58 -0500

Couldn't find the original post, but selenium toners T-55 and T-56 are
totally different. Both do use selenium metal, which is very hazardous (and
as you know, I'm not a nut on chemical hazards!). T-55 is the single
solution for warm tone papers, and the one sold by Kodak as Selenium Toner.
T-56 works on all papers as it is a bleach and redevelop system.

If anyone is interested, I can furnish the formulas. Just remember,
selenium metal is a "persistent, accumulating carcinogen" whereas after
it's in solution it's just toxic like most everything else we use.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net
Visit http://www.psa-photo.org/