Re: Bellows patch & Laura Gilpin

William Laven (wmlaven@platinotype.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:12:42 -0800 (PST)

>>... my 8x10 Ellwood enlarger c. 1948. (It
>>used to belong to Laura Gilpin so it's my pride and joy!)
>>
>--Dick Sullivan
>>
>I'm goi8ng to tell her cusin, Henry Gilpin at Monterey eninsula College
>about THAT!
>
>;)Steve

Is Henry really her cousin?

OK my little Laura Gilpin altphoto story. About 15 years ago I taught at a
private high school in Colorado Springs. Another nearby school, Fountain
Valley, knew of me and my work in altphoto and guessed I knew something
about archival storage, etc. Well, they had recently unearthed an old file
cabinet and found, STUFFED IN MANILLA ENVELOPES!!, a bunch of Laura
Gilpin's platinum prints (and some silver ones, too) which had been
commissioned by the school many years before. Little beauties they were. I
advised them on proper storage and should have asked for a print for all my
"trouble" but gosh, gee wiz, I'm such an honest guy. Colorado was a funny
place for photo stuff. It happened on occasion that you'd go to some garage
sale and find O'Sullivans that had been pruchased by someone's great
grandparents years ago who lived there when the USGS photographers came
through. Many were pretty beat up, but those Gilpins were little charmers.
Some of her published work came from the project she did at Fountain Valley
-- it had hundreds of acres on the Colorado Plains just east of Pikes Peak.

                           WILLIAM LAVEN PHOTOGRAPHY

   Workshops and tutorials in Platinum/Palladium printing and Zone System.

   1931 23rd Street, San Francisco, CA, 94107
   415-647-9432 (voice) 415-647-9438 (fax)
   wmlaven@platinotype.com
   http://www.platinotype.com