Hypersensitize me up scottie!

jewelia (jewelia@erols.com)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:07:58 -0800

one of the first things i learned about this list was ebay.com -- i haven't
bought anything yet cause i suppose nobody has offered to sell my color of
lipstick: however, i did notice this thing called a hypersentizing system on
the auction block--i had no idea what it is and thinking it might be made of
latex i clicked on it out of curiosity. turns out the seller was good
enough to list the web site of the maker lumicon.com. the gist of it is
interesting--the idea is to treat chemically to raise its speed--whether
color or B&W. apparently, the target market is astronomy--or was it
astrology--i always get these mixed up! it is supposed to raise film speed
by a factor of about 10. i looked at the systems--you can buy systems to do
it yourself or you can buy film--the company sells mostly optics--scopes and
telescopes and apparently a major customer for this stuff is astronomy.

they don't have a system big enough for 8x10 so i sent off an e-mail asking
if i could build my own and buy their chemicals if i wanted to do it--from a
technical standpoint--they wrote back today and said something to this
effect: you need a vessel that can maintain a vaccuum of 27-30" or 15 psi
(i know it seems confusing to me--but i am guessing both not at the same
time) and can be heated to 50 degrees (i assume this is centigrade) .for
several days best to use a rack to hold the sheets seperate. i asked them
what the effect would be on film grain and resolution and their response was
none that it pretty much only effects reciprocity--sounds to good to be
true? actually reciprocity and i are good friends and get along very well
but i was wondering if there are any astrophysicists or other lunars out
there who have any experience with this? have i been in the dark room by
myself too long?

regards--jewelia