Re: Hypersensitize me up scottie!

Francesco Curcio (msepa.fcurcio@ntt.it)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 22:31:19 +0100

Jewelia,

the latest issue of the British magazine Ag+ Photographic (#14) features an interesting article
(to be continued in the next issue) on ascorbic acid as a developer by Michael Maunder :
"Vital developers".
He is a photo chemist as well as having been an amateur astronomer for many years,
and the article gives some hints on the hypersensitization (pre-exposure treatment) of plates
to limit the great increase of exposure times accompanied by unpredictable reciprocity failure
in astronomic photography. Maunder proposes a different method to achieve the same result
in a simpler way, by latensificaton (post-exposure treatment) with a prebath as follows (I'm
quoting):

"The results were based on Technical Pan developed in D-19, but apply to any film
suffering from underexposure. Here they are:

1) A simple pre-bath of 1% sodium sulphite recovered (equalled) a full stpo film speed.
    This is such a simple option that it ought to be a routine regardless as it does
    no harm and has that benefit.
2) The optimum prebath was
                              Sodium metabisulphite 5 g
                              Sodium sulphite 10 g
                              Sodium isoascorbate 5 g dissolved in 1 litre
3) Substitution of the same concentration (0,5%) domestic hydrogen peroxide
    solution for the sodium isoascorbate also worked well.

"This optimum prebath of latensification formula 2 recovered virtually all the reciprocity
failure on the Technical Pan trials being done at that time and were about 2 stops in total,
a most impressive feat. Much simpler than baking in hydrogen gas.
"The sodium salt of ascorbic acid [L-ascorbate, the more common form: different
from iso- or D- ascorbate as requested by Maunder's formula] was not quite as effective.
"It should be noted that formula 2 is a buffered mixture and requires the sodium salt
of the substance to achieve this. Commercial ascorbic acid as vitamin C could be used
but this becomes a messy and dangerous procedure with sulphur dioxide gas
given off during the mixing and is too acid without a lot of rejigging thr sulphite levels."

End of quotation.
The speed gain Maunder speaks of is up to two stops, a bit less than the
"factor of about ten" Lumicon gives (to be applied, if I understand well,
to the film speed: from, say, ISO 100 to ISO 1000? more than three stops).
He also stresses this is not a real speed gain, but a recovery of speed
loss in long exposures.

hope this helps

Francesco Curcio

Milano Italy