Re: toning cyanotypes

Domenick Mirando (DOMM@delphi.com)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:19:33 -0500 (EST)

Oh...so it's violet you want! <G>

This is a variation of my last post from which I have made violet tone.

Use the same basic soup/proportions as was posted before but this time:

(Start with a freshly printed/washed cyanotype. (Don't dry))
(Lay wet print on a non-absorbing surface like glass, smooth out and blot
 off excess water.)
(Using a foam brush, quickly spread a thin coat of soup.)
(Dry immediately with a hair dryer. (Both sides))

(Again, tests were done on Fabriano Artistico. (140lb?))

I recommend coating (when really dry) with a clear varnish to bring out the
prints' depth. Using the same varnish as in the soup might make things a
little more red but using a solvent varnish or a spray type won't.

By adding the tannic acid to the alkaline varnish, pH is somewhere between
being at first alkaline and seems to dry slightly acid (at surface) as the
ammonia evaporates. Coating this again with plain varnish seems to add back
the surface alkalinity.

There are variables to consider like humidity, which is really low now
with fast drying and the fact that I have been using old materials for
testing.

---Dom