Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:43:56 -0700

I may stand corrected on modern printmaking practices regarding signatures.
My collecting was done mostly in early 20th Century American work where
this was a common practice. In lithography, this system eventually evolved
into the atelier system. But it is my understanding that at ateliers like
ULAE, Tamarind (under Grossman) and Gemini, the artist worked shoulder to
shoulder with the printmaker. This is at least how I saw it being done at
Gemini 20+ years ago. Rauschenberg was doing the Hoarfrost Series and he
was there then and was apparently there supervising throughout the edition.
This is not done typically with alt-photo editions.

As for the placement of signatures, I was just using the left and right
hand side of the print as a model. My prints are signed in verso and this
would of course apply here. Signatures on the verso would not be visually
annoying.

I would expect that those who print for others may have some misgivings
about this system. As has been pointed out, the normal tendency of the
buying public may be to regard work printed by others as not as
"authentic." I do feel that images I make and print myself are in fact
more authentic than if I had someone else print them for me. In fact it
would sound strange if I heard an artist say that they felt that prints
made of their images by someone else were in fact more "authentic" than
ones they made themselves. If so, I would be forced to conclude that said
artist had little respect for their own printmaking skills.

I think a good argument for this would be the final chapter of Carl Weese's
and my book, The New Platinum Print. This is available at

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/newbook/Page_thumbs.htm

Click on the each of the two images at "summing it all up" In this chapter
Carl goes through his thinking about how each image should be printed. I
think it is clear that only a person as skilled as Carl in the printmaking
variations possible could tune his prints to that degree.

This all of course leads us into the seedy underworld of art economics. How
much difference in price would one guess that a Moonrise printed by Ansel
would bring on the market versus one printed by Sexton. I really don't
know, but I suspect ones printed by Adams would bring more at auction.

I am proud of the fact that I print my own images. I don't want to
denigrate those who don't, but damn, I'd like a little respect for having
printed my own. We can do that just by revising the old imp. designation
and just initialing our prints that way. It is just a way of saying I
printed it and I don't see anything wrong with that. Everyone else can keep
doing it the way they want.

--Dick Sullivan

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com