Tricolor Carbon/Carbro Processes

S. Carl King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:08:32 -0400

Rich Lahrson wrote:

>Are there any workers on this list that

>still attempt these archival color processes? Or any workers using
ANY

>color processes that use three color black and white separation
negatives?

>Twenty years ago, I was all set to try this, but the turns of life

>prevented this and the source of the Carbro materials that was
available

>from someone in Indiana is no more. Kodak's dropped Dye Transfer.

>If I"m not mistaken, the Fresson process is a similar tricolor

>registration system where the primary colors are combined. There's
been

>mention of the Fresson process here.

I did a lot of printing with three-color carbon and carbro from between
1982-90, using hand-coated cyan, magenta and yellow tissues. My work
was done with both in-camera separations and separations from
transparencies. These processes, especially with hand-coated materials,
are rather complicated and incredibly challenging, but also quite
rewarding when the success happens. Unfortunately, my failure rate was
very high. Most of my current printing with carbon is in monochrome but
I still do some occasional printing in color.

Sandy King