RE: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

C. Michael McKinney, MFA (mckinnm@host1.swosu.edu)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:54:19 -0600

At 12:24 PM 2/24/99 -0500, aharwell@hhpa.com wrote:
>The concept of the "authenticity" of art is something that has vexed critics
>and artsits alike throughout the latter part of the twentieth century. . .
. Perhaps unethically, the vast majority of contributors to a
>project are never recognized.
>
>A similar condition exists in photography, although on a smaller scale. The
>photographer is recognized as a sole creator, while in fact it is possible
>that there are many that cotribute to a final image including the lighting
>assistants, paper designers, lab employees, printers, etc. It is the role
>of the photographer to synthesize these elements with his vision into a
>final product, an artifact which derives greatly from the visions of many.
>
>In this sense, it is irrelevent who prints an image, or even who clicks the
>shutter. What is important is who the purveyor of the final artifact is;
>who directs the synthesis of the elements of light, chemestry, paper, and
>vision.
>
> Andrei S. Harwell
> HHPA

The motion picture industry solved this problem years ago with the advent
of craft guilds. Of course, the credits in some blockbusters seem longer
than the film. Nevertheless, who had a hand in the final image in
photography is relevant, if for no other reason than the "smaller scale"
referred to. No one is condoning forty signatures at the base of a print,
but as a personal rule, I give credit to those labs/individuals that print
my ciba/ilfa chromes and dye transfer prints.

TTFN

Michael
C. Michael McKinney, MFA
Southwestern Oklahoma State University