Re: Tricolor Carbon/Carbro Processes

Richard Lahrson (tripspud@hooked.net)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:17:23 -0800

Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com wrote:

> I believe that the true test of a good printer - that is, one who can
> consistently produce perfect results, is a process like any of the 200+
> 3-color techniques used over the years (Search the patent info, and it is
> amazing what was tried and failed). If you can control the image, then you
> are truly skilled.
>
> Unlike many of the simpler techniques discussed these days, making full
> color transfer prints is hard and quite an accomplishment if you get it
> correct.
>
> RM

Hi!

     Even several decades ago, professional color labs were charging over
$300.00 for the first Dye Transfer 8 X 10. Of course, one of the advantages
that Dye Transfer had was that many prints could be pulled from the same set
of matrixes. The cost also reflects the making of black and white tricolor
negatives for the process.

     Someone here mentioned a dollar amount of $1000.00 for the materials.
Depending on what size one decides on for maximum, add another $1000 to
$3000 for the registration units and punches and a quality reflection/
transmission densitometer. Add more for computer options.

      Sadly, it is not so easy to work in any of the tricolor pigment
processes. But then, even in their hayday, it was difficult.

                                                Rich Lahrson
                                                tripspud@hooked.net