flattening Japanese paper (was paper language)

FotoDave@aol.com
Mon, 08 Mar 1999 13:59:58 -0500 (EST)

tomf2468@pipeline.com writes:

> My question is in using "Washi" or "Kozo" paper in alt work.

<snip>

> When I've tried to coat and print anything larger than 4x5 on these papers,
> they distort (become "wavy"). A dry mount press will not flatten large
> print to a usable (by me) degree.

The Japanese and Chinese have of course used Japanese paper to make large
painting but the final piese is beautifully flat. They mount the painted piece
on another piece of rice paper and stretch and dry. If you want to do the
mounting, you might find the instruction in some brush painting books;
however, if you have never seen how it is done before, it might be hard to
understand the description.

If you don't need to mount the paper, then the easiest way is to dampen the
paper, then either tape sides (or use some glue and glue the sides) on a piece
of board. It will dry perfectly flat. You don't need to manually stretch it
while taping it down because if it is too tight while damp, when it dries, it
might break. Try it first on a test piece.

Dave S