Re: Coating

Robert Hudyma (rhudyma@netcom.ca)
Sat, 06 Mar 1999 19:20:23 -0500

At 05:56 PM 3/8/99 -0300, you wrote:
>I've done that about 15 years ago. But the nice thing about this list is
>that ideas from old techniques can bring some light. The technique was to
>coat photoresist on copper clad boards. I got got suddenly interested again
>for coating platinum/palladio papers.

Spin coating is a wonderful way to get a very even coating, and many years
ago, we used it at a company that was developing CDR technologies (write
once CD's).

Although the technique has a lot of merit, and is easy to implement, the
thing that scares me is that there is a possibility of spattering and the
dispersion of fine droplets into the air. I would be very concerned about
the possibility of inhaling these droplets which contain Pt/Pd heavy metal
salts. So for that reason I never persued this technique. Thats why I use
a glass coating rod and wear latex gloves.

With the proper ventilation, and air filter face mask and handling
techniques, I think that this technique would work well. But I recommend
that one should take all the necessary precautions to avoid any possibility
of inhaling the sensitizer.

Best regards,

Robert Hudyma, Semi-Tech Corporation, 2800 14th Avenue, Suite 511,
Markham Ontario, Canada L3R 0E4. Fax: (905) 475-3652
Email: rhudyma@netcom.ca

The distinction between past, present and future is only an illusion, even
if a stubborn one. - Albert Einstein