Re: gold chloride help

Liam Lawless (lawless@vignette.freeserve.co.uk)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 00:43:40 +0000

Hi Nze,

Gold chloride comes in several forms. "Pure" gold (III) chloride (or gold
trichloride) is AuCl3 and has a gold content of about 65%. Sodium
chloroaurate (III) (NaAuCl4.xH2O) contains around 50% of metallic gold,
depending on water content; hydrogen tetrachloroaurate (III) (HAuCl4.xH2O)
is strongly acidic (containing 1 part HCl for each part of AuCl3) and has a
gold content of 52-55%, again depending how much water is in the crystals.
Generally, neutral salts are to be preferred.

It also comes in other forms (e.g. ammonium tetrachloroaurate (III)), but
those above are the common ones. Which is best for ziatype I do not know; I
can't find anything in "The New Platinum Print", but maybe one of its
authors will answer you.

The coming Post-Factory explains how to make your own gold trichloride from
scrap gold. If it's any use to you, I can supply gold trichloride in liquid
form at what I think is a very good price, if postage costs and duty are not
excessive. Contact me offlist if you want details.

Liam