Re: Making silver nitrate was Argyrotype chemistry

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:12:48 -0500

At 99/03/10 04:58 PM -0500, you wrote:

>Actually I have it on some excellent authority that all you have to do is
>leave the silver in a pot with some hydrochloric acid for a few weeks and
>*voila!* Tho I wouldn't make that a metal pot.

As silver chloride is insoluble, hydrochloric acid does not react with silver.
In any event, you couldn't make the nitrate with the chloride ion. Well,
perhaps the atomic scientists can, at ten or so millions ($) per pop, but not
normally.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net